How it Works
PLEASE NOTE DEADLINE DATES HAVE CHANGED!
1. Online Entry: November 14th, 2012 to January 23rd, 2013 – 5:00pm EST.
2. Regional Winners Announced: On or before February 8, 2013 each Radio Station will announce there regional winner.
3. Fan Voting: February 11th, 2013 to February 22, 2013 – 11:59pm – Online fan voting for all Regional Winners.
4. Judging Panel: February 23rd, 2013 to March 1st, 2013 – Music Industry Judges begin voting on the Grand Prize winner and runner up.
5. Winners Announced: March 23nd, 2013 – Grand Prize winner and runner up are announced at Canadian Music Week 2013.
Rules and Regulations
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES
Contest opens Wednesday November 14, 2012. All entries must be submitted no later than 5:00pm EST on Friday January 23, 2013.
1. This contest is open to emerging artists who compose and perform original material. The entrants must not having had any previous songs charted in the Top 20 of Canadian radio. The submitting entrants must be Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. Co-writers or collaborators don’t have to be Canadian as long as the song entered is a Canadian song. (see definition in paragraph 3). If there is more than one writer, all co-writers must be in agreement for the song to be submitted. If there are co-writers on the winning entrant, the prize package must be divided between co-writers at their mutual discretion. The contest is not open to directors or employees of the sponsoring stations, SAC or competition judges.
2. All entrants must submit one original song in an mp3 format to www.dev.radiostar.ca. The song entry may not exceed five (5) minutes in length.
3. Song entered must meet CANCON requirements as per the MAPL system that defines a Canadian Song. To qualify as Canadian content, a musical selection must generally fulfill at least two of the following conditions: M (music); A (artist); P (performance/production); L (lyrics). For details visit www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cc_radio.htm
4. Entrants can submit one entry to the participating station in their closest market only. Entrants cannot submit to any radio station outside of their market. Subsequent or multiple entries will be disqualified.
5. Entrants and their collaborators will retain full rights to all work submitted for the contest. The entrant warrants and represents that the songs(s) submitted are sole, exclusive and original works of the entrants.
6. Judging will be comprised of industry professionals, radio station staff and online public voting. The public will be invited to provide their vote from February 1st to February 15th. Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
a.) songwriting quality – originality, lyrics, melody, composition
b.) artist or band performance
c.) overall musicianship of artist or band
7. Winners will be judged by a committee comprised of music industry professionals including noted songwriters, A&R mangers from record labels, publishers, producers and radio music directors. Prizes will be awarded jointly to all band members or individual artists. Division of prizes is the responsibility of the winners. The winners release sponsors from all liability regarding prizes won. All federal, provincial and local taxes, when applicable, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
8. The lyrics entered must not include or contain any material that is obscene, offensive, defamatory, pornographic, threatening or abusive, content that is otherwise objectionable or would be deemed inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the radio station in its sole discretion. The station reserved the right to disqualify any entries that contain the elements previously described. The same applies if video is requested.
9. Entrants of any age are eligible to win. Entrants under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian on the travel portion of the prize or accept the equivalent cash value of travel expenses should their entry be a winning entry. All regional winners will be flown to Toronto to showcase at Canadian Music Fest 2013 where the National winner will be selected.
10. All winners must sign and return an affidavit confirming that the song entered is original and he/she holds rights to the song. Failure to sign and return the form within 14 days or provision of false information may result in disqualification and an alternative winner will be selected. Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s names, likeness and voices for future publicity and advertising purposes without additional compensation. If there is more than one writer per submission, all co-writers must sign letter of agreement for the song to be submitted, and must abide by all criteria to enter.
11. The station shall have the right to use the song at their sole discretion, which comprises the lyrics and music of the entrant. The station is not obligated to pay any royalties or fees of any kind to the author/entrant, except for the prize money should the entrant’s song be selected as one of the prize winning entrants. Performance rights royalties accrued will be paid to the entrant if the song is played during the SOCAN survey, provided the entrant is a registered member of SOCAN.
12. Entrants can only win the Grand Prize once.
13. The contest is subject to all federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations that may be applicable. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
14. All decisions made by the station with respect to the acceptance of any entry and eligibility of entries shall be final and binding. Radio Star reserves the right to extend the deadline of the competition and/or announcement of winners if needed.
15. Entrants hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the contest entities (including Canadian Music Week, all participating radio stations and all sponsors) from and against any and all third party claims arising out of or resulting from (1) the entrant’s participation in the talent search; or (b) any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements granted, made by or entered into by a entrant.
16. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE TALENT SEARCH RULES MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.